Monday, August 16, 2010

The 5th Graham pledges Alpha Gam

Alex, our baby, is now at the University of Alabama starting her college career. I can't believe that Mom and Dad are empty nesters! My poor father has been paying for college since 1995 when Hope went and hasn't stopped yet :) My parents have provided so much for us all of our life but this is probably the thing I am most grateful for - a college education - debt free. It made getting married that much better knowing that Dax and I would be married with no college loans to pay back. Anyway, Alex moved into Tutwiler August 8th and started Rush August 9th. I can attest that she wasn't a big fan of the Rush process but she pulled through and pledged Alpha Gam. I was able to go up and surprise her Saturday night at her pref party - I don't think she needed me but it was a good excuse to see her and the house. So much has changed in the 5 short years I have been gone. We ate dinner together in the pouring rain - any of you who know anything about Tuscaloosa knows that it floods all the time there, especially around Tutwiler. Well, Alex got to see it. Cars were flooded everywhere and the roads were feet deep around the stadium. We enjoyed pasta from Depalmas and then Brooke and I headed back to Birmingham for the night. My mom and other sisters were able to make it for Bid Day and welcome the newest Alpha Gam to the family. I tell everyone all the time that I didn't pledge Alpha Gam because of Hope and Joy but it was an added perk. Had I not liked Alpha Gam at Alabama I would have pledged something else; they just happened to pick a good sorority. I think it is so neat to say that we are a family of Alpha Gams and Alex was a 5 time legacy! Bid Day was crazy - people were everywhere. Quota this year was 84 so imagine the chaos of 150 + members on the front lawn, the 84 new girls, their families and the random fraternity boys. People were everywhere, it was hot and we stayed long enough for some photos and to speak. Their pledge class left that afternoon for Pledge Retreat in Gulf Shores. I can't imagine a place big enough to hold 84+ girls. AGD Recruitment Chair and President running with the new members. No other sororities were running to the houses and I couldn't understand. I know there are people everywhere but we have always run with excitement!Alex mixed in with new pledge sisters. It is always neat to see who your closest friends are.Alex with sweet Lissa Handley. She is a Sophomore and was my liaison all week. I had never met her but she was great to be able to talk with.

I remember that feeling of "knowing" the new girls and being so happy that they ended up on your lawn. All of them were so incredibly nice to Alex and we couldn't be more appreciative of that.

Mom (Gamma Sigma '10), Joy (Gamma Sigma '99), Hope (Psi '95), Alex (Psi '10), Me (Psi '01), and Meggan (Psi ' 06)

Hope's girls...can't wait to see if they live and breathe Alpha Gam too! Aliee is already preparing her stays in the Alpha Gam house with Alex.

2 comments:

Katie said...

congrats!!!! you guys definitely have a legacy :) it is crazy that alex is in college now... i remember when we were in 6th grade and joy came to school crying because her mama was pregnant again!! wow, how time flies

Kirstin @ Hello Kirsti said...

Wow what an amazing story to have a 5th legacy!

I found your blog and this post via searching for Alpha Gamma Delta bloggers =D
I'd love to invite you to check out the Alpha Gamma Delta Blog Network at www.AlphaGam.org we'd love to have you join us.

Loyally,
Kirstin